Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wednesday Morning Update

It's official - the boys are now a week old. Time flies so fast when you're watching your beautiful children grow - but this week has sped by like lightning. Hard to believe a week ago I was recovering from one of the most painful, but rewarding tasks of my life, well, two, actually. : )

The boys are doing well and are now in rooms right next to each other at Overland Park Regional Hospital NICU. It was hard leaving the hospital where Tucker and I roomed together and I could hold him and snuggle him at my discretion, but having them together really does lessen the stress of trying to divide my time between two hospitals. It was so nice yeterday being able to nurse one baby and then walk a few feet to another rocking chair and nurse the other.

Hunter is showing us everyday that he is a strong little baby who wants nothing more than to keep growing and developing. He is taking a bottle now with many of his feedings and eats like a CHAMP. Some of the nurses can't believe how wonderfully he is doing in the eating department. I just look at all his chub and tell myself I'm not surprised though. = ) He had a little trouble with his temperature and was put inside an isolette to help maintain his body temperature and it proved to be extrememly helpful for him. He ate every drop in his bottle last night, which he's never done before. He's always eaten about half of it, and then had the other half given to him through his NG tube. Basically, the Doctor said that by helping him regulate his temperature, he doesn't have to work so hard doing it himself and can concentrate on using his energy to learn to eat. He will stay in the isolette for a day or two and then we'll challenge him again by seeing if he can regulate his temp in an open crib. He doesn't have his canula anymore and is doing just fine breathing room air - he know longer works really hard trying to breathe to distribute oxygen throughout his body, so we're not seeing anymore retractions in hi chest. He also doesn't need anymore fluids, so his IV has been removed. Everyday Hunter seems to overcome a little bit more and it's so nice to show up for a visit and find one less tube/wire coming off of him.

Tucker is doing well, too. There was actually talk yesterday of putting him in an isolette for a few day as well, but as of last night he seemed to be regulating his temperature just fine. The Doctor said sometimes that's common when a baby is put through the stress and trauma of a transfer from one hospital to another, so they weren't too concerned, really. Tucker's only task at this point is to keep eating well, and show that he can be weaned from his NG tube and eat every meal by mouth. Once he can eat every meal through his mouth for 24 hours, he can go home. Probably looking at about 5-7 more days in the hospital before that takes place.

Everyone has asked whether or not the boys are identical or fraternal. At this point we just don't know yet. They do have the same blood type, AB+, which is one of the more rare types, but that isn't proof of anything.As far as physical appearance, there are certainly similaritie between both boy, but there are a lot of differences, too. For instance, Hunter is a whole point heavier than Tucker, so he looks much more filled out and has a lot more fat on his body. Also, Tucker was shoved through the birth canal while Hunter was a c-section, so that could attest to different head shapes. Dan and I aren't in any hurry to find out. We think it will be really fun to watch them grow and see if we can tell in the next coming months. We really couldn't care less if they're identical or fraternal. Actually, Dan is a bit hopeful that they're identical because he thinks that would be really neat, but I'm more hopeful that they're fraternal because then it's as if I get two completely different and wonderfully beautiful boys for the price of one. In the end, all we want is healthy babies who can come home!

As for me, I'm doing okay. I'm getting around a little better each day and starting to experience less and less pain. I have to remind myself to take it easy and not to do too much, which is so hard for me. I love spending time with Cooper when I can, and find myself wanting to be at the hospital every moment in between. I have a new respect for anyone who has to leave their baby at the hospital - it's the hardest thing I have ever done, and leaving there each day gets more and more painful. Luckily, we're able to stay at Dan's parents house which is literally just 10-15 minutes away from the hospital so we can visit often. My parents are just around the corner from Dan's parents, so it's nice to know they're there for help, too.

I'll take the camera today and try to get some updated picture of the boys. Thanks to everyone for all the prayers and I hope you'll continue thinking of us and our precious babies.

If anyone would like to come see us and the babie at the hospital, PLEASE don't hesitate to! Just email me at trishwills@gmail.com and I'll tell you where we are and how to find us. We love having company and anyone who wants to come visit is alway welcome and encouraged. Please feel free to come anytime!

Love,
Trish

1 comment:

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

Just stopping by to say congrats!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker