Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fourth Day Update

Here is the latest update.

Hunter, over at the other hospital (it's about 15 minutes away from where Tucker and I are) is doing WONDERFULLY. Dan spends several hours with him everyday and the report is nothing but great. As of yesterday, Hunter is eating through a NG tube and they're increasing the amount every third feeding by 3 ml. From what we could calculate, he'd be getting about 16 ml this morning. The goal is to get him up to 50 ml so that he is getting enough to gain weight. The nurses say he does excellent with his feedings and sucks his little paci really hard while the food gets pumped in. He's the biggest baby in that nicu right now, but I don't have a current weight on him. He's breathing room air with just VERY SLIGHT O2 in a nasal canula. He's regulating his temperature just fine. As soon as his heart rate settles down a bit (it's been in the 70's - 80's and needs to be in the 60's), he'll begin eating from a bottle, and has plenty of my breastmilk there to get started with. I've been a pumping machine!

Tucker is doing well, also. Yesterday, the doctors decided to change the way he was eating. As premature and small as he is, he just didn't have enough energy to finish each feeding,and wasn't gaining any weight. So, basically, all the calories he would eat, would be burned right away, while he was TRYING to eat. So he was getting no where. So now he has a NG tube like his brother, and is getting his feedings through that. Every third feeding is a breast feeding for him, and he's still latching on and suckling like a champ. He is also not getting anymore formula - just pumped breastmilk as well. :)

At this point, it is unknown which baby will be released first, and when. I will be discharged on Monday and will then go on what's called "Boarder Status." Basically, Tucker and I will still be in the room we're in now, but I won't be a "patient." I'll be free to come and go as needed, but will be able to stay here with Tucker until he's released, which could be at anytime. The doctors at both hospitals say the babies will be home by at least their 36-week gestation day, but most likely sooner.

We also got confirmation that the babies have the same blood type. I am AB-, Dan is A+ and both boys are AB+. Identical twins? Possibly. It will be fun to watch them grow and find out. We couldn't care less if they are identical or fraternal, we're just in love with them so much and can't wait to get them both home together.

I'm doing okay, as well. I'm starting to feel pretty good as far as my incision goes, and now only have slight swelling from Tucker's delivery. My hemoglobin has been really, really low - low enough my OB is considering a transfusion if it doesn't start responding to the iron supplements soon. I do occasionally get very dizzy and light-headed from it. Emotionally, I'll admit I have had a hard time. I only saw Hunter a few times for a few minutes before he was transferred and don't even know what he looks like (other than the pictures, but you know what I mean). It's so hard being here and bonding with Tucker all day, just knowing that I have another sweet baby to get to know and love, and at this point, I don't even feel like his Mother. cry I know it's all normal, though, and I just remind myself that it won't be long - and I'm so thankful that they weren't any earlier than they were, because they really won't have to stay in the hospital very long at all.

Sorry for the novel. Just wanted to update everyone. :)

No comments:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker