Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The First Sono

She did the external sono first, and immediately I saw two dark sacs. I asked the sonographer if I was seeing correctly and she just smiled and said, "Yes." Then she told us that so far she couldn't see any fetal poles. So I emptied my bladder and came back in for the transvaginal sono. Almost instantly we saw TWO beating hearts on the monitor and Dan and I were both speechless. She did measurements- each baby is measuring at 6w1d. I'm currently 6w5d, but she said that was okay - she said the more important fact was that they were measuring the same.

Baby A's heartbeat was 116 bpm and Baby B's was 122 bpm. She said those are VERY good, because most 6 weekers are still in the 90's to low 100's. She said our chances of miscarriage are less than 3% now. She also said that both babies have their own sac, which is very good, because that means they won't get tangled in each other's cords or suffer from twin-to-twin transfusions.


Dan didn't say a word during the sono or most of the drive home. Once home, he had to start getting ready for work (we got home at 330pm and he had to go on duty at 4pm, so he was stressed trying to get ready quickly). He was grumpy and quiet for a while, and finally told me that he can't believe we're having twins, and told me that he's worried, and scared. I told him it was okay to feel that way. And then I told him that I will make a promise if he does - and he said okay. So, we promised that we would only feel this way TODAY. Once tomorrow comes, we'll wake up happy and feeling blessed about the TWO miracles in my womb. I am feeling really good about this now, and starting to accept what God has given us. I have told myself, "Gosh, God must think I'm a pretty good mom to put the well-being of TWO babies in my hands!" And, "God wouldn't give us two babies if he didn't think we could handle it."

If He leads you to it, He'll lead you through it!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to tell myself that everyday when the boys were really little. I figured that if he didn't think I could handle twins then he wouldn't have given them to me! You'll do great!

~Morgan

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker